Friday, October 3, 2008

Why a Certain Headline About the Debates is Ironic

"Both Sarah Palin and Joe Biden made claims that distorted the truth."

This is how the news teaser read when I opened my web browser and my Yahoo home page popped up. I couldn't help but to laugh!

Are You kidding me???? THIS is what is deemed to be National News? That's IT. I couldn't sit silent anymore. It's time for America to Shut Up and Get Real.

What do I mean by this? Well, it's easy. Take a look at the people around you every day. While you're at it, take a long hard look at yourself. Now ask, why is it that we are expecting these national leaders to be something we're not?

Gee, I don't really think it's NEWS that politicians stretch the truth. But then again, maybe it's time we stop thinking of these people as demi-gods. After all, if you are honest with yourself, I bet it's been less than an hour since the last time YOU stretched the truth.

And in a day in age when "The Secret" is practically everywhere you turn, Lying has become the accepted norm these days. (Case in Point: Someone was trying to book an event with me. I asked that person how many events they had booked currently. "I have several events that will be booking any day now." Hmmm. I recognized that as Secret-Speak for "I Got Nothin.")

But I digress.

Now, I could care less who you vote for. I have my views and I know which side I'll be voting for. However, the beauty of America is that I have that freedom. It's not my job as an American to get the entire rest of the population to agree with my political viewpoint. (although I notice that most Americans think that this is INDEED their whole purpose in life.)

So it's not the politics that has me ranting this morning. It's the hypocrisy. Americans think our country is going to hell in a hand basket, and maybe it is. But not because of Obama vs McCain. We got ourselves into our own mess, and it's time to clean it up. So politically, we are getting ourselves all hyped up over NOTHING.

Get over it. The fact is, be it democrat or republican that takes on the White House, we will survive! Neither side is all that great, and neither side will personally cause the destruction of civilization. So quit complaining about what you see happening with a few politicians running for office, and start focusing on fixing your own shortcomings. We all have them.

That's my plan, anyway.

No comments: