Monday, November 22, 2010

Public Isolation Project: Do TOO Many People Know Your Place?

In today's Web 3.0 world, we are bombarded with the newest, latest, greatest ways to stay connected via technology.  But the Public Isolation Project has forced many in Cyberland to take a long hard look at the real world ramifications of living in a social media world.

Those of us in the marketing industry noticed a huge shift several years ago as Social Media changed
the way everyone used the internet.  Personally, I've always been an advocate of using marketing practices to create and cultivate relationships. As such, social media has not only changed the way I market, but has actually created an entire new career path for me.  I've left "Marketing" in the dust, and now "Build Communities."

But the pendulum is known to always swing too far in one direction if left unchecked.  I've often said that not everything that CAN be done with technology and communications SHOULD be done.  I've said it about Facebook Places, I've said it about geolocation services, and I'll continue to caution my audiences as evasive (AKA "Cutting Edge") technologies continue to surface.

So when I first learned about the Public Isolation Project, I was intrigued.  Someone making an artistic statement that we may have gone too far in our technology advances where relationships are concerned?  My only regret is that I can't breakaway and get to Portland to check it out live and in person.

So we're left with questions.  Do TOO many people know our places?  Have we opted to live a life so public on the internet, that we're neglecting the real world all around us?  Have we become so busy posting updates, videos, and tweets that we've started to ignore the real world that surrounds us?

Or is it just the opposite?  Has our need to keep up with the Web 3.0 World inspired us to become more interesting?  Are we taking chances and connecting with experiences we may have overlooked before, just so we can share them with our online community?  Have we enriched our lives by connecting with people we may never have met otherwise?

Share your thoughts in the comments below.  But before jumping to an opinion, I encourage you to watch CNN's video interview of Public Isolation Project's subject, Cristin Norine.  You can follow the continued progress on Facebook and Twitter, and reach out to Cristin personally...just as long as it's within the confines of the glass walls of technology.  Until November 30th, when Cristin rejoins the world of real relationships and human contact.



Until Next Time,
Jacki Semerau

No comments: