Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What's So Great About Being a Cubs Fan, Anyway?

Me and my dad - always buddies, he taught me
the love of Baseball
Growing up, my dad played baseball with our church league.  Some of my earliest memories involve playing with my friends in the grass behind the bleachers or lawn chairs, where our moms sat and watched while our dads and brothers played ball.

I was 10 years old when I went to my first professional baseball game. Or at least it’s the first one I remember.  I can still recall the feeling of awe and overwhelm as we walked through the stadium to find our seats.  I remember sitting down with the hot dog and soda my parents bought me, thinking that I was experiencing the coolest thing in the world. 

And I was.  I was experiencing a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.



I grew up in a very rare Chicago household – my dad loved all baseball, as long as it was Chicago.  Cubs vs. Sox wasn’t a rivalry I had any clue about.  But even though my dad loved both teams, I grew up in love with the Cubbies.  Maybe it was because by the time I was born, we were living in the Northwest Suburbs, meaning everyone I lived near were Chicago Cubs fans.  Maybe. 

But I think it was something more. 

I think it’s because Cubs fans are the greatest people.  There’s something intrinsically wonderful about the people who love the Cubs. 

So what’s so great about Cubs fans?


1.       Unconditional Love.  We know how to love with our whole hearts, and we know how to overlook the flaws of those we choose to give our hearts.  We don’t expect perfection, we just expect you to try.  Through thick or thin, we will love you.  When you get it right, we’re there to cheer you on and remind you that we’ve always believed in you.  And when you disappoint us, we get over it pretty fast.
2.       Loyalty.  I remember one comedienne told a joke that if you want a man who won’t cheat on you, find a Cubs fan.  Because they’re loyal to the death.  It’s funny because it’s true!  We’re not giving up.  Disappoint us, make us angry, make us cry – hey, there’s always next year.
3.       Optimism.  This is the one that really takes the cake and makes Cubs fans the greatest people in the world.  It’s not a blind optimism that refuses to see flaws.  It’s the mindset that things will get better. They always do.  And maybe not forever, but at least for a time.  And even when all the evidence is stacking up against the odds, we will always hold on to hope. We just see things that way.
4.       Acceptance.  Now, I’m not here to call out other sports teams’ fans.  But some of you are just crazy! I’ve been at sporting events and watched fights break out – fights! Grown people throwing punches because they’re mad that you don’t agree that their sports team is the best. Umm. Okay.  Cubs fans – not so much.  We love you, even if you do love the Sox.  (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)  In all seriousness, I know there are bad apples in every bunch, Cubs fans included.  But for the most part, a Cubs fan will tease you a little or joke around, but it’s all in good fun.  We don’t hate on you.  And when our beloved Cubbies finally make it (ahem, 2016 is our year!!) we don’t get mad if you jump on the bandwagon.  We know our Cubbies are fabulous, and we love all the positive energy we can get! So Fair-Weather Fan, feel free to #FlyTheW with us! The more the merrier.  Maybe you’ll hang with us after we win the World Series.  Maybe not.  It’s okay.  Because we love our Cubs.  We were here long before you got here, and we’ll be here long after you’re gone.  In the meantime, we’ll love having you cheer alongside of us.  And here's the best part - we don't just keep this attitude when it comes to Baseball.  We tend to live life this way in all aspects.  Life - it is what it is.  And it's just so much better when we accept others for who they are, but always stay true to ourselves at the same time.
5.       Supportive.  We know how to support others, and how to help others celebrate success.  Probably because our dear Cubs give us lots of opportunities.  But hey, it builds character.  And we wouldn’t dream of leaving our Cubs and jumping ship to another team.  We may move away, we may cheer for our new home team – but our hearts are always with the Cubs. And when our “other” team plays the Cubs, it’s a no-brainer.  We’re cheering for the Cubs. And we support your choice to cheer for someone we don’t.  We won’t judge you, even if we know that you’re judging us. 

What is so great about being a cubs fan
Fly the W! Me (right) with Dan and Stephanie -
all 3 friends and die-hard Cubs Fans living in AZ
Yeah, it’s pretty great to be a Cubs fan.  Always has been, always will be.  We’re not the type of fans that expect our team to win.  We’re the fans that take the wins as our team’s way of thanking us for the support.  #FlyTheW #GoCubsGo

Until Next Time,
Jacki

No comments: