Sunday, March 2, 2008

What are you saying with your voice?

You have a strong ability to influence other people's decisions. If you didn't, you wouldn't be an effective entrepreneur. Everyday you come across people that you will have to be able to influence a decision in your favor. If you're successful in this consistently, you are successful in business. If you fail at this consistently, you will go out of business. Welcome to the world of Self-Employment.

But what else are you accomplishing with your voice? I don't mean voice as in the sound of your voice. We're not talking karaoke here.

What I mean is: are you using your powers for good?

You can use your voice in many different ways.

  • Support a charity that is close to your heart, and let others know about it. It can be as simple as including the charity's logo on all your communications, to actively seeking other's to support your cause as well.

  • Be vocal about things that matter to you. People respect you, remember? So talk about things that matter. This doesn't have to be about charity. It can be as volatile a subject as religion or politics, or as demure a subject as the importance of spending time with family.

  • REFER. This isn't a blog about referring, but I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about it. When you have a high level of regard from OTHERS, use your voice to refer business to other people that YOU have a high level of regard for. Make sense? For example, I wouldn't let the people in my network have to rely on the yellow pages to find a car mechanic. I would refer them to mine. He's above board, honest, ethical, and puts his customers first...the same way I do business. I have surrounded myself with others that I hold in high regard, and can refer at anytime....I'll be writing a separate blog on referring later!

  • Let others know about a good book, movie, or TV show that left you feeling like a better person. For example, as a woman entrepreneur, I'd refer you to a book called "Secrets of the Six Figure Woman" by Barbara Stanny. It is a must-read.

  • Become involved with organizations that are aligned with your values. Find like minded people. It helps you stay true to who you are and what you stand for. For instance, I attend North Ridge Community Church in Cave Creek, AZ. The people I find there help me stay on track with my belief system. (Like being a good person, staying focused on putting God first, things like that.) So are you a Christian? Find a good church. Are you Jewish? Attend a good synagogue. You see where I'm going. But not just with religion...activities, social groups, etc.

I believe we have a responsibility to use our voice to make this world a better place. And the more people you have that know and respect you, the stronger that responsibility becomes.

The most effective way to accomplish great things with the voice given to you? Just live what you know to be the truth. Whether or not people agree with you or take your recommendations, it doesn't matter. We don't try to change others, and we certainly aren't trying to control them. But others should know who you are and what you stand for, that's all.

And to think, this blog all came about because I have a friend who is a lead singer for the band Unlisted. I went and saw him perform yesterday, and was so impressed, I thought I should tell others. That's using my voice...to help him along his path to success. (Although look at the picture...I also got to use my voice in other ways...thanks Brian!) Want to see Brian Jennings and his band Unlisted. Let me know, and I'll tell you where they're playing next!

Until Next Time,
Jacki

No comments: