Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Corporate America's Biggest Marketing Mistake

I've been in marketing and sales for the past 12 years. Some of that time, I've been more towards the "marketing" end of things. And some of that time, I've been more towards the "sales" end of things. But either way, one thing has remained consistent. I've always been in the "sales and marketing" arena.

And during the evolution of my experience and education, one thing has become abundantly clear to me. There should be no such thing as "sales and marketing." Sales and Marketing are two different things entirely.

In fact, all people in corporate America are technically sales people. Maybe there should be a "Sales and Human Resources" department. Or a "Sales and Accounting" department. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Throughout the years, I've seen brilliant marketing minds with very little people skills. Master Marketers who couldn't sell ice water in Arizona.

On the flip side, I've seen top ranking sales people who couldn't put together an effective marketing campaign if their lives depended on it. Sales Superstars who think a flyer here and a postcard there are enough. Cold Calling Machines who don't know the first thing about establishing your brand.

Marketers. They can get the buzz going. They can roll out a product. They can make all the marketing tools work together like a well-oiled machine. They can create brand awareness. They can take a product or service from unknown to a household name. They can make the phone ring.

Salespeople. They can overcome objections. They can follow up until their prospect buys. Loves to get face to face with their prospects. They know what to say when they answer the phone.

It's a tag team effort, really. And the big secret is that VERY FEW people are truly genius at both sales AND marketing.

So my opinion is that Corporate America has had it all wrong for years. If you want to truly have your staff at Highest and Best use at all times, then let the marketers market, and the salespeople sell.

Just one marketers opinion. What do you think?

Until next time,

Jacki

No comments: