Saturday, December 4, 2010

I Just Can't Do it Anymore!

Seriously.  I've had it.  It finally happened.

As an entrepreneur, we have this tendency to handle everything ourselves.  We start with our Big Idea, the one that sparks a flame inside that turns into an inferno.  We HAVE to share it with the world.  It's our passion, our mission.  We fan the flames for a little while to determine if there's a way to turn our passion into a viable business.

If you are an entrepreneur in ANY phase of the game, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.  You've been there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Er, should I say, the website?!


After you figured out how to turn your passion into profit, you took the next steps necessary to build your business.  And whether your business is virtual or brick-and-mortar, you probably started up alone.  Maybe you had a partner or two, but that's it.  "If it is to be, it is up to me" was the motto you lived by.  You printed up business cards that listed your title as "Owner," "President," "CEO," "Founder," or something to that effect.

But at first, all those titles are code for "I do EVERYTHING."

Business starts to roll.  You begin to make money.  (Remember that first check written out to your business?  That's the entrepreneurial equivalent of giving birth!)  Life is good!

Then you start to find that things are piling up.  Business is increasing, and you're feeling the pressures of too many demands on your time.  Opportunities are missed.  Leads start to fall through the cracks.  And at some point, you reach the same conclusion as me, "I just CAN'T do it anymore!"

So your option is close up shop and go back into Corporate America, or get help...fast!

Some will give into the fear of taking it up a notch.  Some will find the thought of giving up control to an outsider absolutely terrifying.  But not you!  You KNOW YOUR PLACE!  Your place is here, in this business, in this environment, in this passion.  So what are your options?

Hire employees, or hire consultants.

Usually, the step from solo to employee is a giant leap.  There's payroll to set up, legalities to figure out, and more.  That's why consultants are the way to go at this point.

However, it can be intimidating to give up some of the control you have over your business.  So don't just hire the first consultant that comes calling. When looking for consultants for hire, do your homework.

In researching resources for this post, I came across the blog entry, "How to Hire a Consultant."  This list offers great advice that I highly recommend following!

As for me, I've reached out to bring on a web developer.  Even though I've built my own websites, both for the I Can Relate Brand as well as the Strong Single Mom Network, it's time to release them.  First of all, my knowledge of web design is limited.  I know enough to get the ball rolling. I know I could figure out how to take it to the next level, but why?  It's not my highest and best use.  So I know it's time to let it go and hire someone who is passionate about the development side of things.

That's just the first of many!  I've also been researching tools and software that can help automate my back end processes.  At first, the price tags seemed a little daunting.  But in analyzing the potential ROI, it became a no-brainer.  But that's another post for another day!

I'll end by asking...are you at a breaking point?  Have you reached the place where you know you just can't do it alone anymore like I have?  Have you started checking out a consultants directory or digging into your network to find the right person?  Share your story or tips in the comments!

Just remember, when you feel like you just can't do it anymore...that's a GREAT place to be!  It means it's time to take it to the next level.  So glad we're sharing our journey to success together.

Until Next Time,
Jacki

No comments: